Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Chapter Five: Stand

Good evening y'all.  Tonight was the Electric Avenue-themed dance, a celebration of the greatness of the decade of the 1980's.  WooHoo.  Our gang dressed as Waldo in the Where's Waldo series.  Somehow I missed out on that whole Waldo thing but our youth generously explained it to me.  A dance?  At a Christian camp?  Yes it was one hour of strobe lights, jumping around, and music too loud for fogeys.  Fun!

Yesterday's keyword was FLIP, today's was STAND.  The STAND message that stood out most to me is that I may not be an active oppressor or persecutor.  But if I am a passive participant in systems that oppress or persecute, then I am equally to blame.  Ouch.  This is a long stretch at a paraphrase of some of the ruminations of early 20th century theologian Walter Rauschenbusch, which inspired some of the philosophy of civil rights advocates like Martin Luther King, Jr.

Bad news on the biscuit front.  Biscuitville looks like my best shot at eating at a restaurant with "Biscuit" in the name, but they close at 2pm.  Bummer.  This would mean a breakfast run before camp breakfast at 7:30am, not really feasible.  "Au contraire," say several of the youth, who have generously offered to accompany me to this illicit pre-breakfast.  All we have to do is wake up a couple of hours earlier.  Sure.  Tell me again, why is it that I wanted to eat in a restaurant with "Biscuit" in the name?

After breakfast we all gather here in The Quad before Morning Devotions.  Then we all go off and sit on a bench or against a tree and contemplate the questions du jour.  A moment of peace to start the day.

After the morning Bible study time, all gather with their Bible study group for lunch on the lawn.  Breakfast and dinner are prepared and served at Greensboro College dining, but lunch is cold cuts and PBJs slapped together by chaperons,  With love, certainly, but Beef Wellington it is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment